I am a mom, I get that. But I am also SO much more than just that. I am my own person.
It's like we get caught up on this thought that once we have kids, that's what we become, mom. That's it. Mom. We think that our children always need to come first and that we put ourselves on the back burner. That's wrong. Totally wrong.
I get that once you become pregnant your entire world changes. But not to the point of erasing your existence as a person and becoming "Joe's mom".
I am a stay at home mom, so this may be heightened for me a bit more than most. But when I spend 100% of my waking hours worrying, caring for, solving problems for EVERYONE else....It takes a toll on me, and that doesn't make me a bad person or a horrible mother. I need to do something for myself every now and then.
Now, I am not a homeschooler, so I have truly enjoyed school starting back up. You know, it's a little more quiet around the house and I have a greater chance of peeing in peace. I mean for real, I will open your applesauce when I am done, thankyouverymuch.
I don't go out to the bar, I don't grocery shop alone, I don't bathe alone. For goodness sakes, where I go, THEY ALL GO. And this needs to stop.
I've let this happen because I am deathly afraid something will happen to them. No one can care for them as well as I can. Last time I went out with my mom and sisters for a FEW hours, I came back to 5 hours of additional cleaning and many broken objects. Is it worth it? Sometimes, but I choose wisely.
Amongst trying to keep track of what kid has to wear what color each day, what kid has hat day, or a spelling test, or for gosh sakes needs to pack a lunch.....I am taking 4 hours out of each day FOR ME. Yup, maybe I am being selfish, I don't honestly give a rats behind what anyone thinks about this.
I have spent too much time on my children and lost myself. Don't kid yourself, I bet you have too at some point. I'm just the one who has the balls to say it to the entire world ;-)
Hour 1- kicking my own ass and allowed to swear at another adult....at home workouts baby!!
Hour 2- blogging away and rambling to you :-)
Hours 3 & 4- with my hubby after the kids go to bed. My most favorite relationship in my life on Earth is with that man. He is my world.
You see, being a mom is kind of my "job". My husband for instance leaves his job at a certain time every day and is done with it until tomorrow. Why cant mom's have that too?! My children are plenty old enough to learn this routine. Unless they are sick, at their age, I shouldn't be up all night. Once my husband gets home, dinner will be done and my cleaning will stop after dinner. I am NOT a workhorse and I refuse to be one just so I can feel accomplished in my life.
Point being....don't kill yourself over trying to be perfect. Its not worth it and it turns you into someone you are not meant to be. I tried it and it fricking blows, big time.
So take me as I am, perfectly imperfect. Kudos to the mom's who have a perfect little life, doing everything themselves and are still genuinely happy.
ACTION: In the comments below, post what YOU do for YOURSELF. It's only fair that since you get a peak into my crazy life, you can at least take 2 seconds to answer one measly question.
I never really did anything for myself and i always felt bad, but now we have a gym down the road thats 10 bucks a month so after work 1.5 of work a day (with about 500 kids) i head to the gym and workout all my mommy, wifey, and friend frustrations. Then i come back home and spend what little time i have left with my hubby before he heads to work for the night.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing, Mandi! And good for you! I bet it helps a ton!! :-)
Delete